Sunil at a younger age started training in the basics and thalam under the guidance of his father Triplicane K. Sekar, a Thavil Vidwan. After that he started learning Kanjira from Kanjira Maestro Shri V. Selvaganesh and also Konnakol from Ghatam maestro Padma Bhushan Shri T.H. Vikku Vinayakram.
Performances & Achievements
- ‘A’ Grade artist in All India Radio, Chennai.
- He has accompanied many stalwarts like clarinet Everest Sri A.K.C. Natrajan, Prof T.N. Krishnan, Sri Dr T.V Gopalakrishnan, Sri T.H. Vikku Vinayakram, Sri Guruvayur Dorai and senior Artists like Padmashri Kum A. Kanyakumari, Vidhushi Bombay Jayashri etc.
- He has also been performing with many young artists.
- He also played many Jugalbandhi & Fusion concerts and played classical percussion instruments like Thavil, Kanjira & Mohasing while performing for many leading fusion bands. He has played Thalavadhya concerts with many leading Mridangam, Ghatam and Kanjira artists.
- He has won 1st prize in many National level cultural competitions in solo performance organized by Anna University and other colleges.
- Has performed in many Sabhas like Krishna gana sabha, Music Academy, Brahma gana sabha etc during seasons and festivals.
- Given many performances in India & Abroad.
- He also played in many Albums, CD’s and TV programs with various artists.
- Performed at Sri Kanchi kamakoti Mutt Paramachariya’s Concert
- Performed for SVBC Nadaneerajanam Program.
- He played the Kanjira solo with Guru Mr. Selvaganesh for Ustad Alla Rakha Festival at Bombay in the year 2011 and also played many popular concerts etc,,,
- Performed at Thiruvaiyaru in the year 2016 as a part of the National programme.
- Thetakudi Harihara Sharma Percussion Award given by Sri Krishna Gana Sabha in 2011.
- Sri Kanchi kamakoti peetam Asthana Vidwan in 2013.
- Title of ‘Yuva Kala Bharathi’ given by Bharath Kalachar in 2013
- Received Dr M.S Subhalakshmi fellowship in the year 2015 given by Mumbai Shanmukhananda.