Bhargav R Ranganath
An aspiring young carnatic singer, who is ardent to explore and share the knowledge of this beautiful genre of classical music.
Bhargav was attuned to carnatic music from his childhood days when his mother used to teach her students. His mother is a Veena exponent and holds a Vidwat degree for the same. He began his preliminary lessons in Carnatic Music from Vid. Chandrashekhara Bhagavatar in Saraswati Vidyalaya, Chembur, Mumbai. He cleared the Junior Level exam in Carnatic Music in 2000. In 2002, he shifted to Kolkata for High School, but his interest in Carnatic Music still continued. He continued his journey with music part time along with his studies in Manipal Institute of Technology.
The biggest turning point of his life came when he got in touch with Shri. Tirumale Srinivas Sir (Chami). Shri Srinivas Sir saw his potential and encouraged him to come to Bengaluru to take advanced lessons under him. He started practicing rigorously and immersed himself in Carnatic music for close to 7 to 8 hours every day.
As he enrolled in the MPA programme he got introduced to various nuances of Carnatic Music. The programme enabled him to rigorously learn from other stalwarts like Padmasri Vidwan R.N. Thyagarajan, Ganakalabhushana Vidushi R.A. Ramamani, Dr Meera Rajaram Pranesh and Dr Aarti N Rao. Through these eminent personalities he learnt practical aspects like Manodharma, quality of presentation of a kr̦ti, voice modulation, rāga bhāva and laya. He also got a good grasp of laya from Mṛdaṅga Classes taken by Vidushi Ranjani Siddhanti.
- Master of Performing Arts (MPA) from the School of Humanities and Jain University, Bangalore.
- Master of Technology (M.Tech) University of Petroleum and Energy Studies, Dehradun.
- Bachelor of Technology (B.Tech) Manipal University, Manipal.
Licenses and Certifications
- Shankar Mahadevan Academy Teacher Certification Course
- NET (National Eligibility Test) Certified Candidate in Music.
- IELTS (International English Learning and Testing Services) Certified Candidate.
Publications and Presentations
- Presented a paper titled “Comparison of Nagumōmu as sung by Vishnudev Namboothiri and Trichur Brothers at Christ University, Bengaluru
- Presented a paper titled “Comparison of Sāvēri Rāga as handled by Malladi Brothers and Sreevalsan J.Menon at Christ University, Bengaluru
- Presented a paper titled “Innovations in Carnatic Concert Format”
- Presented a paper titled “Ludwig Pesch and his Contribution to the Pedagogy of Carnatic Classical Music”