Born in a family of teachers of high repute, Sankari Krishnan attributes her interest in music to her parents, Shri S. Maniam and Smt Seetha Maniam who encouraged her to pursue Music as a profession.
Sankari Krishnan did her B.A( Music) at Seethalakshmi Ramaswamy College, Trichy and M.A. M.Phil (Music), from the University of Madras, (a gold medallist)
She was initiated into music at Thiruvanaikoil, Trichy by Shri K.S.Subramanian, his encouragement had fired a passion in Sankari to pursue music as a career. While doing her post graduation in Music in Chennai, she had the good fortune of becoming a disciple of one of the greatest maestros of all times, Padmabhushan Lalgudi Shri G.Jayaraman. This privilege continued uninterrupted for more than twenty years until the great Guru left his mortal coils. She has been fortunate to absorb his music and become a responsible torch bearer of the great Lalgudi bani. She is an "A" Grade artiste of All India Radio, Chennai.
Sankari has also learnt “COMET – Correlated Objective Music Education Training” from Dr Karaikudi S. Subramanian, Director, Brhaddhvani.
- Performed in the prestigious Akashvani Sangeet Sammelan and National Programmes in AIR & Doordarshan.
- She has performed under the aegis of Sangeeth Natak Academy and has been performing in almost all the prestigious organizations and Sabhas in Chennai and all over India and has also rendered special "Veena & Voice" concerts alongside eminent Veena maestro, Dr. Karaikudi S.Subramanian. She has also rendered special thematic concerts like Folk- Classical.
- Sankari has done interactive performances with popular western classical and jazz musicians of international repute. She had the rare privilege of being part of “OMI International Musicians Residency” in New York wherein she has rendered interactive performances with top musicians from all over the globe.
- Lecturer in Music at Mother Teresa Women’s University. She has also been a Senior Faculty at Brhaddvani, “Research and Training Centre for the Musics of the World ''.
- Through her initiative, “Samrddhi - Centre for Eternal Musical Pursuit”, she blends her rich concert experience and glorious academic achievements and the innovative institutional teaching methodology while imparting music to many students at home and across the globe. Many of her students in right earnest have begun their tryst with music by their performances.
- Conducted many workshops for musicians belonging to different genres and countries and also for classical dancers in India and abroad. She has composed music for Rama Charitam, a Bharatanatyam dance ballet for Shanmuka Arts, Mumbai.
She has also been enriching the listening experience with a number of her Classical and Devotional Compact Discs and has given numerous concerts far and wide across India and abroad
Many awards to her credit:
- Isai Arasi Award by Trinity ArtsFestival of India ( 2016)
- Maharajapuram Santhanam Meritorious Award by Maharajapuram Santhanam Foundation (2014)
- “Sangeetha Seva Mani" Title - Honour by Shri Shri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal of Kanchi Mutt (2010).
- "Nal Isai Kalaignar" Title - Honour by Potrramarai Kalai-Ilakkiya Arangam, Chennai (2010)
- “Perum Paana Nangai" Title - Honour by Kudandai Pa. Sundaresanaar Naadukaan Kuzhu, Lalgudi (2007)
- “Ghandarva Vidhyadara" Title - Honour by Irai Pani Mandram, Chennai (2007)
- Smt. D.K.Pattammal Award Of Excellence for the year 2005-2006 by Karthik Fine Arts Chennai (2006)
- Best Vocalist Awards at Indian Fine Arts Society and Sri Krishna Gana Sabha Chennai (1993)
- Ravi Verma Memorial GOLD MEDAL and Srilochani Prizes in M.A.(Music) from the University of Madras.