Guru S.P. Vijay Kumar hails from Chennai, India. His insatiable passion for dance introduced him to the world of Bharatanatyam and into the portals of Kala Samarpana, a premier institute run by Sangeet Natak Academy awards, the celebrated Kalaimamani Guru M.V. Narasimhachari and Guru M.Vasanthalakshmi. Under their expert tutelage, he completed his Arangetram and also acquired the title of "Natya Siromani".
Vijay is an established dancer, appreciated for his flawless performances both in individual as well as group productions. As a Guru, he has expertise in solo as well as group choreography, conducting programmes (Nattuvangam) and his methods in teaching the principles of dance and yoga. To enhance his repertoire further, Vijay is currently learning Kuchipudi from Guru Vasanthalakshmi and Mridangam from Kalaimamani A.S.Krishnan.
Vijay is an "A" Grade Artiste for the Indian National Channel Doordarshan Kendra, New Delhi. He has performed widely on various local and national Television channels, both as a solo artiste and also thematic representations such as "Navarasa Ramayana" with his disciples.
Qualifications Academic and Artistic
- Diploma and Postgraduate Degree (Master of Dance) in Bharatanatyam
- "Kurai Isai Selvam" title from the Tamil Isai Sangam Annamalai Mandram upon completion of the three year certificate course in Tamil Isai.
- A higher grade degree in dance and music conducted by the Technical Board of Examination
- Diploma in Naturopathy
- Diploma in Yogic Science
- Master's Degree in Population Studies
Awards and Recognitions
- Nattuvanga Kalaimani
- Illam Natyamani
- Natya Ratna
- Natya Siromani
- Best student award (Masters)
- Nrithya Siromani
- Yoga Rathana (excellence in yoga)
Performances Around India
Vijay has to his credit several applauded performances and lecture demonstrations in various prominent music and dance festivals across India, USA. Apart from numerous performances in Chennai, a brief profile of his presentations across the country includes
- Uday Shankar Festival, Kolkata
- Natarajotsav Festival, Mysore
- Ayyapa Seva Sangam, Rajasthan
- APTDC Shilparam, Tirupati
- Dasavataram Ballet, Mumbai
- Indra Danush Festival conducted by SUNAINA
- ICCR series at the Ministry Of Culture,New Delhi
- Govt arts college, Tinsukia Assam
- Mudra festival, Thiruvananthapuram
- Udupi temple, Karnataka
- Guruvayoor temple festival, Kerala
- Nadaneerajanam at the Tirupati temple
- Venkateshwara temple, Nellore