Trained and tutored by eminent scholars like Sangita Kalanidhi Sri T.M. Thiagarajan, the great Padam exponent Smt. T. Mukta and Sri. P.N. Raghava Rao and nurtured by her mother Dr. Nirmala Sundararajan, Dr. Subhashini Parthasarathy exhibits amazing erudition in Karnatic music. Her singing has received wide appreciation and acclaim from connoisseurs, critics and lay men.
A recipient of an M.A. in Indian music from the University of Madras (1986) and a PhD for her doctoral thesis on Padams and Javalis, Subhashini has travelled widely in India and abroad giving concerts, lecture-demonstrations and conducting workshops. She also presently trains a number of advanced-level students both in India and abroad.
Needless to say, all her concerts echo traditional and mature musical values, winning for her, in the process, several awards and accolades worldwide.
- Yuva Kala Bharati award from Bharath Kalachar, Chennai - 2000.
- Recipient of Scholarship and Fellowship from the Dept. of Culture, Govt. of India, 1984-1987, 1989—1991 and 2000-2002,
- Recipient of MaharajapuramViswanatha Iyer Memorial Trust Scholarship,1987-1989.
- Adjudged Best Vocalist in the Afternoon concert – The Indian Fine Arts Society, Chennai - 1991.
- Sangita Kalanidhi Dr. S. Pinakapani Award for the Best Raga Alapana – The Music Academy, Chennai - 1994.
- Suryakantha Memorial Award for The best Lecture-Demonstration on the compositions of Tiruvarur Sri Ramaswamy Pillai – The Music Academy, Chennai - 2003.
- “A” grade artiste of the All India Radio and Doordarshan
- Kuwait Musician of the year 2007 by Bharathiya Sanskrithi Manch, Kuwait(Bhasma) – Dr KTB Menon Memorial Indian Classical Music Festival
- Vidushi T. Muktha Centenary Award by Trinity Arts Festival of India, 2014.
- Recipient of a production grant from the Dept. of Culture, Govt. of India. (2015)
- Subhashini Parthasarathy is not afraid of open-mouthed singing in her alapana, where her akaram is a great plus point. Her raga structuring pleased by staying within the traditional formate, not mechanically, but with a conviction and feeling that gave it freshness. -GR
- Dr. Subhashini Parthasarathy, a well groomed vocalist, gave a neat and polished performance. Her rendering of the raga Lathangi was very analytical as also melodious. Subhashini has a ringing voice and was therefore able to fetch any phrase in any register. The Tamil composition was effectively rendered with a tag of swarapratharas well mounted.-Subbudu
- A scholarly effort exploring and expanding some of the fine nuances of Carnatic music creating a transcendent mood in the expression of Manodharma, the vocal recital by Subhashini Parthasarathy of Chennai in Kala Bharathi. Visakhapatnam last week delighted all alike.- A.S.R
- In her morning concert, Subhashini Parthasarathy demonstrated her prowess in every segment through an authentic display of patantharam...Subhashini’s Latangi alapana had an old-world charm as was Papanasam Sivan’s kriti, ‘Pirava Varam Tharum.’ The laya-sharp kalpanaswaras drew a round of applause.- The Hindu
- Her spreading and punctuation carried substance and style. Thyagaraja’s ‘Evarimata’ was once again dealt with in detail with a powerful ingenious niraval on ‘Bakta Para.’ The swara matrices landing in daivatam were crisp without extending to tiring lengths. Being the direct disciple of Muktha, Subhashini embellished the concluding segment of her concert with ‘Thatthai Mozhiyal’, a Tamil padam by Vaitheeswaran Koil Subbarama Iyer, a Javali in Bhairavi by Chinnayya, and a virutham from Nachiyar Thirumozhi.- The Hindu
- Subhashini Parthasarathy is endowed with a mellifluous voice that has a full range through all three sthayis. Her Begada was a testimony to her musical creativity and proficiency.- The Hindu
AUDIO CASSETTES AND CDS RELEASED
- Padams and Javalis – Sangeetha (along with Dr. Nirmala Sundararajan)
- Devanayaka Panchasat - Stotras of Sri Vedanta Desika on Lord Devanayaka of Tiruventhipuram
- Classical Vocal - Sargam Cassettes
- Classical Vocal - Kalavardini.
- Rangamalika -Kalavardini.
- Srinivasa Gita Malika -- Kalavardini.(along with Dr. Nirmala Sundararajan)
- Varadaraja Stavam (Appayya Dikshitar) --- Tag (along with Dr. Nirmala Sundararajan)
- Traditional Padams and Javalis - Gita Cassettes.
- Muralidhara - Abirami Recording Co.
- Venkatesa Suprabatham --- slokas in praise of Lord Srinivasa ( Mylapore-Chennai)